The SAAC (Student-Athlete Advisory Council) Program
Intercollegiate athletics places great demands on the time, energy, and attention of student-athletes. Colleges and universities can and must provide opportunities for participants to be successful students and fulfilled athletes. It is the belief of the Athletics Department that it is our responsibility to provide the necessary programs and support to help the student-athlete achieve that goal.
The student-athlete is recognized to be at the heart of the athletics program. The mission of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is to assist in the creation of an environment where all athletes have the opportunity to maximize their academic, personal, and social growth and provide them with tools for a productive and satisfying life during and after college.
Each varsity team has one representative on SAAC. Each team selects these representatives according to the choice of the team. Some teams vote on their representation, while other representatives are selected by the coach. Some team captains are automatically appointed as SAAC representatives.
The charge of the SAAC representatives are:
- To discuss issues of concern to student-athletes in all sports, and when mandated, to present those concerns to the Athletic Administration.
- To examine and discuss current and proposed Athletics Department policy and its effect on the student-athletes as a whole, and making recommendations to the Administration when mandated by committee vote.
- To examine current NCAA rules and their effect on the student-athletes and to make recommendations to the Administration.
- To develop outreach programs to help those in the community who are in need.
Throughout the year, SAAC helps sponsor a number of events, including:
- September 6, 2012 - Welcome Back BBQ - 5:30 PM - Jack Coffey Field
- October 3, 2012 - Job Central Career & Internship Fair - McGinley Center Ballroom
- October 23, 2012 - Student-Athlete Educational Workshop - Ice Box Athletes/Mental Toughness - 6:00 PM - McGinley Center Ballroom
- October 12, 2012 - Ram Town - 9:00 PM - Rose Hill Gymnasium
- November 14, 2012 - Student-Athlete Mentoring Night - "Rams Helping Rams" - 7:00 PM - O'Keefe Commons
- November 29, 2012 - Lunch with the AD - 1:00 PM - McGinley Center - Room 234
- January 17, 2013 - SAAC Table Tennis Tournament - O'Keefe Commons
- January 27, 2013 - Breakfast for Champions - 9:00 AM Mass - 10-12:00 PM - McGinley Ballroom
- January 29, 2013 - Student-Athlete Educational Workshop - 6:00 PM - McGinley Center Ballroom
- February 21, 2013 - Lunch with the AD - 1:00 PM - McGinley Center - Room 237
- March 8, 2013 - SAAC Table Tennis Tournament - O'Keefe Commons
- April 2013 - Student-Athlete Retreat - TBD
- April 11, 2013 - Lunch with the AD - 1:00 PM - McGinley Center - Room 237
- May 2013 - Senior Student-Athlete Reception